There is no doubt that accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and with anyone. Whether you are a professional driver or just a learner, you can fall victim to a car accident unexpectedly. But do you know what to do when you get in a car accident?
Normally the answer would be a no. Most of the people get scared and panic in such kind of situation. But you need to be calm in this situation so that you can think straight. So, here are some things that you need to take care of in case you’ve been in an accident.
- Always Stop: Yes, whether it is your mistake or the other drivers, you need to stop as this is a legal obligation. If you’ve been in an accident and you run away, then it will be a hit and run case which would be tough for your lawyer too.
- Turn Off Your Car: It is a very important thing that most people forget to do. If you leave your car on, then there will be a risk of fire. So, turn off your car and stay far away from it.
- Never Admit Responsibility: Another thing you should remember is to never admit that the accident was your fault. It is the judge’s duty to determine who is at fault. Plus, your insurance policy is a contract in which it is clearly stated that you must not assume responsibility or liability under such circumstances. Let your lawyer do the talking.
- Get To A Safe Zone: In case the accident happened in between the road, then you should move your vehicle to the safe place.
- Stay Calm: No matter how much adrenaline rush you are experiencing, don’t lose your cool and keep calm. Pull yourself together and wait for the police to arrive at the scene.
- Check For Injuries: It is very common in car accidents that people get seriously damaged. If a person is severely injured then he/she will need medical attention too. Check yourself and fellow passengers for possible injuries.
- Call for the Police Yourself: Don’t wait for someone else to call the police. Call them immediately and let them know if someone is injured or the road is blocked because of the accident.
These are the simple things that you should keep in mind always. If both the drivers are insured then you will get the claim. If you are confused about what to do when you get in a car accident with an uninsured driver, then focus on these things more than your claim. Your life is way more precious than the medical bill.