Car accidents are, unfortunately, not uncommon in Australia. In 2017 alone, more than 1,200 deaths resulting from vehicle accidents were recorded in the country, and almost 400 of these incidents happened in New South Wales (NSW). Needless to say, it is important for car drivers, motorcycle riders, and pedestrians to take all necessary precautions to ensure their safety while on the road.
A person who gets involved in either minor or major road accident due to the fault of a drink driver is exposed to variety of injuries. These injuries may force them to take a leave of absence from work or worse be paralyzed. Here are some of the most common injuries one could get from a car accident:
- Minor scratches and bruises
- Severe cuts
- Facial lacerations
- Broken ribs
- Broken arms and shoulders
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury (SCI)
- Internal bleeding
- Call the authorities and the emergency department immediately – Whether the injuries sustained are minor or major, you should call the emergency to have yourself and your passengers medically assessed. You should remember that some injuries may appear minor but they could lead to life-threatening like internal bleeding so it is important to have yourself checked and treated.
- Exchange contact, insurance, and personal information with the other driver – If the accident involves you and another driver, one of the first things you should do is to secure the other driver’s name, address, contact number, and insurance company name. This step is important because it will make your insurance claim much easier.
- Tell what happened to the authorities – If you did not sustain major injuries, it is recommended to wait for the authorities to arrive at the accident scene. When the police officers arrive, disclose all information related to the case. It is also a must take photos of the scene so you can easily explain yourself to the officers. The authorities will write a report about the incident, which you can use to prove your claim.
- Get names and contact number of witnesses – If there are other people who witnessed the accident, get their names and contact number. These individuals can help you in justify your claim before the insurance company and the court if the case goes into the legal battle. These are the people who will help you prove yourself if the other party tries to save himself from the liabilities; their testimonies will help your solicitors Parramatta ensure you that will receive rightful compensations for the injuries and financial losses you sustain due to the accident.
- Contact a Parramatta solicitor – Claiming for compensations for a car accident is no easy feat. You need to go undergo several processes which can cost you your time, money, and effort. So it is highly recommended that you contact solicitorsParramatta who specialize in handling car accident cases. There are many reputable law firms in Parramatta, so finding one that will handle your case should worry you.
Getting involved in a car accident in Parramatta is not only nerve-racking but can also be life-threatening. Practice defensive driving, pay attention to the road, follow all traffic rules, don’t drink and drive, don’t use your smartphone while driving, and don’t drive while sleepy.
Parramatta is a wonderful place but you can’t be too sure. No matter how cautious and defensive driver you are, you may still get involved in an accident due to another person’s fault. So if you ever get caught in an accident caused by another driver, just follow the tips above and you will have no problem regaining back your life.