How to Scrutinize and Choose Criminal Lawyer
Criminal lawyers are hard to find. You don’t always get the perfect person to fight for you, unless you do your homework. And your homework becomes the basis of your success or failure in the court.
With all these things in mind, what would be your plan of action in finding the right criminal lawyer in Brampton? If you don’t know yet, this post will take you through each and every step in choosing the best criminal lawyer.
Step 1: Research Your Area
Research is the main thing in choosing criminal lawyers. You can start with the web research, then narrow down your search as you move forward.
- Web Search: Internet is probably the best resource where you can find loads of information about lawyers and their practices. But you have to be specific about the keywords. You can visit http://www.passipatel.com/ if you’re searching for the best Brampton criminal lawyers. But there’s more to it.
- Take References: Ask people; your friends and other people who have used the services of the criminal lawyers. They will guide you in their own ways. But your research doesn’t end at that point.
- Call Bar Association: Once shortlisting lawyers, you can call the local bar association and find out whether the lawyers you’re looking for have a good reputation or not. Are they listed? This is very important for you case so don’t avoid this step.
Step 2: Ask Questions
After shortlisting and identifying potential lawyers, you have to visit physically and dig deeper. Here are the questions you should ask to, or about, the Brampton criminal lawyer.
- Regarding Certifications: It is optional, but certification always adds value to the credibility of the lawyer. So, don’t avoid asking for certification.
- Regarding Years of Practice: Experience is important. You will ideally want to know how many years of practice a lawyer has, but this is not it.
- Regarding Trials Handled: What you really should know is, how good the lawyer is in handling trials, and you can only assess by the number of trials handled.
- Regarding Jury Trials Handled: Further ask questions regarding jury trials handled by the criminal lawyer.
- Regarding Representation: Now you must be quite satisfied, but one thing’s left to make sure. Will the same lawyer represent you in the court or there will be someone else, his subordinate? Make sure that the same lawyer will represent you in the court.
- Attitude of the People: You want to know whether the people handling your case are serious or not. Judge by their attitude. How do they treat you? Are they serious or taking matters casually?
- Availability for Your Case: If the lawyer is already on a case starting next week, he wouldn’t be able to focus on your case. So, better find another professional.
- Fees and Method: Last thing is, find out the fees and the manner of payment. Lawyers charge hourly, fixed or there may be any other method. Make sure that the fees doesn’t affect your budget.
Step 3: Hiring the Best
If you have gone through all the above steps carefully, you will get the best criminal lawyers in Brampton.